DNA- Finding the family of Sarah Borland Menzies (1823- bef 1855)


I’ve found it difficult to find DNA matches on my Scottish branches, as DNA testing in Scotland is fairly rare, but, surprisingly enough, my greatest DNA break though came on my Scottish side of the family. One of my earliest brick walls was Sarah Borland. She was born about 1823 in Ireland and married Robert Menizes in Port Glasgow, Scotland on 3 Aug 1843. Robert was also an immigrant from Ireland to Scotland and worked as a canvas weaver. In 1851 Robert, Sarah and their three children were still living in Port Glasgow along with Sarah’s mother Jane Borland and her brother Samuel.
Port Glasgow Parish marriage record for Robert Munice [Menzies] and Sarah Borland

           Unfortunately Sarah died sometime before 1855, when Robert married again to a woman named Ann Black. Genealogically speaking it is especially unfortunate that she died so early because 1855 is the year that Scotland began civil registration. Had Sarah died in 1855 or later she would have had a death certificate that recorded various things about her including her parent’s names. I did know that her mother’s name was Jane and that she had one brother named Samuel, but that didn’t get me very far. I couldn’t find any records for Jane Borland after 1851 and I assume she either died or returned to Ireland before 1855. I did find a marriage certificate for a Samuel Borland, which listed his parents as Robert Borland and Jane Geddie, but I couldn’t be sure that was the right Samuel. Normally birth or baptism records would have a good chance of helping to find the parents, but because Sarah was born in Ireland, where records are scarce, there was very little chance of finding a birth record, much less one that could be accessed without traveling to Ireland. That was where my search ground to a halt for quite a while.
The Menzies family (spelled as Munace) on the 1851 census 
               Last year I got my dad an ancestry DNA test for his birthday. While I was able to find a few Menzies matches on ancestry I didn’t find any that had a clear Scottish Borland line. At Christmas I was able to help him upload his DNA to FTDNA, another DNA site that lets you upload your ancestry results for free. I wasn’t particularly hopeful, since that site has a very small user base and sure enough, besides one known first cousin (and my own DNA) he didn’t have any very close matches. However, his closest match had the last name of Borland and was even a shared match with his known first cousin on his mother’s side of the family (the scottish side). I spent some time researching the matches tree and eventually traced him back to a man name William Borland. Like Sarah, William was born in Ireland in 1821, immigrated to Scotland, and lived in Port Glasgow at first. He married a woman name Agnes McCauly and eventually moved to Dundee where he lived until his death in 1883. Fortunately William did have a death certificate that I was able to locate. He listed his parents as Robert Borland (canvas weaver) and Jane Gettie. The same names as I had already found on the marriage certificate for Samuel!
William Borland's 1883 death certificate

              I was now fairly confident that I had the name for Sarah’s parents, but I wanted to know more. I went back to my ancestry DNA matches that seemed to be on the Borland side and started to build trees for them. I was able to trace at least five of the matches to different children of a man name Joseph Borland, born 1832. According to family stories Joseph had not wanted to serve in the British Army and had stowed away on a ship to America at a young age. He married Malissa Ann Forth and lived in Wayne Illinois. He served in the Union army during the civil war and took part in Sherman’s march.  With so many matches I began to think that he might be another sibling of Sarah’s.
               This led me to re-examine the 1841 census. I had looked through it before and I was pretty sure I hadn’t found the Borlands, but I decided to check again for Joseph. I found a census entry for a Robert and Jane Borland living with six children in Port Glasgow, fairly close to where Robert Menzies was living at the time. My ancestor Sarah was listed as Sally, and Joseph was the youngest at age seven. Looking through my Genealogy files it turns out that I had found that census before, but had discounted it because the ages were off and Samuel wasn’t listed. My guess is that Samuel was living with relatives, possibly in Ireland at that time. This census finally gave me Robert Borland’s birth year and five new siblings for Sarah. I was able to track down another sibling from that census, Hugh, and found that he also listed his parents as Robert Borland and Jane Gettie, solidifying my conclusions According to this census Robert was thirty years older than Jane. I almost wonder if this was a grandfather rather than a father, but until further evidence emerges I will leave him as the father. The family I discovered for Sarah via DNA is as follows.
Robert Borland (1771- bef 1851) was married to Jane Gettie (1795-bef 1855)
  1. John Borland (1816-??)
  2. Mary Borland (1818-??)
  3. William Borland (1821-1883) married to Ann McCauley
  4. Sarah Borland (1823-1854) married to Robert Menzies
  5. James Borland (1826-??)
  6. Hugh Borland (1827-1899) married to Ann McFaddan
  7. Samuel Borland (1831-bef 1871) married to Ann Gardner
  8. Joseph Borland (1832-1913) immigrated to Illinois and married Malissa Ann Forth

I don't have any known photos of the Borlands, except for Joseph and that picture belongs to his descendants. However, I do have a number of unidentified photos dating to the 1860s and 1870s passed down from the Menzies/Borland side of the family and I'm going to post a few of the oldest of those below.






Comments